Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Baskets, Michelangelo, beer,travel, pet peeves = Hodgepodge time

Sometimes the weeks roll by so fast! Don't they?      It's Hodgepodge time again! 

1. Besides leftover Easter goodies, what's something kept in a basket at your house? 

I love baskets!  So, I keep lots of things in them.   But, one thing I keep are wine corks. I used to keep them for fun, and for a few craft possibilities, but since I made cork Christmas trees last year for sale/gifts, I have become "the cork lady" and am getting them from others.  My baskets runneth over with corks! 

2.  'The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it' - Michelangelo Buonarroti

So which are you...  the one who aims too high, or the one who aims too low?   Have you seen the Sistine Chapel?  Did you know Michelangelo's surname prior to answering this question? 

Most of us are not amazing painters and more - like the great Michelangelo.   He was exceptional and so his aims were probably a bit loftier than most of ours!  (Get it?  Loftier??   The Sistine Chapel ceiling...  lol)   Seriously, I think for the 'everyman' it is okay to have lower aims - once achieved, then new aims can be set perhaps.  Sometimes aiming too high can be too challenging and too difficult.  Disappointing.  Lots of lower aims sounds good to me.  Little steps, little victories.   There's nothing wrong with that.

I have never been to the Sistine Chapel.  I was an art major in college my first two years and loved, loved, loved art history classes!  I would love to go see the ceiling at the Sistine Chapel...but I will admit I never wanted to "play" into the whole vatican thing.  I shun away from the majesty of it, and the adoration of men...    but, this new pope has me rethinking it a bit.   So, maybe....

I did see Michelangelo's last name before...in my art history books.   But, hey, the guy never needed to use his last name, did he?    Kinda like Cher, or Beyonce... or Elvis!  lol

3.  April 7th is National Beer Day.  Hmmmm....  wonder how that's celebrated?!  Do you like beer?  If you're not a beer drinker do you have any recipes you enjoy cooking that calls for beer? 

I rarely have a beer.  I enjoy one on a hot day, maybe after doing some yard work.   I like lighter beer, and I like the ones with lime.  

I do not cook with beer.  I do not cook much, remember??    But, if I do cook - I cook with wine!  In a glass... beside me....

4.  When did you last travel somewhere new?  Tell us where.  How'd it go? 

Wow. It's been a number of years.  I'm trying to think back. I suppose it was when I went with hubby and our daughters on a trip to Belguim, Luxembourg, and Germany.  It was wonderful! We had a great time!

I traveled a lot for many years,  with my hubby's business and award trips, or moves, or family vacations.  It was great, but I have lost my NEED to see new places and to explore.  I hear my friends talk about exotic vacations and think to myself how happy I am right here.  I love it here.   I have a few places I go back to each year - to see family, and to go to the CMA Fest.  But, I love where I live and am blessed to be here.

5.  The value of _________ is greatly over-rated. 

Obvious answers are money (unless you have none), status (unless you feel unimportant), fancy cars (unless you have no transportation)...        so, I will go with fine jewelry.   I'm quite happy being a costume jewelry person.   I don't desire gems, and expensive bling.  It's not my thing!

6.  What's a pet peeve of yours when it comes to restaurant dining? 

I think my biggest annoyance is seeing restaurant patrons who dis-respect the servers.   They are hard working people, with long hours, and little rewards.  They take the blame when the kitchen might mess up, and they smile through unusual orders.   It's a tough job.

7.  It's Poetry Month.... share a favorite poem, either the title, a few lines you find meaningful, or the whole kit and caboodle. 

I find wonderful poetry in song lyrics.    Here's one...

Ordinary? No.  Really don't think so...
Not a love this true.
Common destiny, we were meant to be...
you and me.

Everyday I live, try my best to give...
all I have to you.
Thank the stars above that we share this love...
you and me.

Ordinary? No. I really don't think so...
just a precious few
ever make it last, and get as lucky as...
you and me.

-  Kenny Chesney "You and Me"

8.  My random thought. 

I hope you had a lovely Easter! I hope Spring has arrived in your part of the country!  This is the start of my favorite time of the year!  Warm days, longer sunlight, outdoor fun!   

Enjoy your week!   See you here next time....      take care.
 

6 comments:

  1. I think there are quite a few musicians out there who are poets at heart. Jackson Browne's lyrics always feel like poetry to me. I love that KC song : ) Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the lyrics to the song you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You made me laugh when talking about single names. I've never thought of Michaelangelo and Elvis in the same sentence. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that Kenny Chesney song! What...no Tim McGraw? You still following along with our ol' pal, T-Rav?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michelangelo, Cher, Beyonce, and Elvis. LOL. You are so right--last name not needed.

    Having been a waitress back in the day, I appreciate your saying that about it being a hard job. When the kitchen messed up, I was ultra embarrassed. They got the same pay regardless, but my tips suffered when that happened (sometimes). I was grateful for patrons who tipped well without making a scene about their wrong order.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelangelo, Cher, Beyonce, and Elvis. LOL. You are so right--last name not needed.

    Having been a waitress back in the day, I appreciate your saying that about it being a hard job. When the kitchen messed up, I was ultra embarrassed. They got the same pay regardless, but my tips suffered when that happened (sometimes). I was grateful for patrons who tipped well without making a scene about their wrong order.

    ReplyDelete