Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Christmas is a coming! What's funny... or not.

Good morning everyone. I'm running on a tight schedule on just about everything right now.  Busy busy busy!  But, I still want to stick to my Hodgepodge routine.  So, here it is!

1.  Many families have a story they love to tell every year around a holiday. Does your family have one? Are you the star of that story, or does another family member take center stage? Share your story if you want.

I can not think of a specific funny story or snafu that happened during a Christmas past.   And, really, I guess that's good!   Who took center stage at Christmas?   In the family that would be dad - he was a pastor and it certainly was a busy time of year for him!   So, our family arranged our gift opening, the Christmas meal, travel to see relatives, etc. around the extra church services.   

2. Are you afraid to speak your own opinion?

In general, no I am not afraid to tell you how I think or feel. But, I hope I do it with a bit of compassion.   I have learned over the years that everyone should be listened to, and everyone has something to say.  And, I think to stay quiet at times can be wrong.  

I have a couple of issues that I am passionate about and I like to use Facebook as a platform to express it - but again, hopefully I am not too obnoxious. (Sorry if I am.)   When talking one-on-one I have no problem disagreeing and expressing my point of view if need be.   But, I do try to speak with kindness and make clear I may disagree on the issue, but still like the person. 

3. Pantone has announced the color of the year for 2016, and for the first time have chosen two shades-rose quartz and serenity. Hmmm...did you know serenity was a color? You can read the thought behind their selection here, but essentially it's blending the warmth of rose quartz with the tranquility of a very soft shade of blue. So what do you think? Are these colors I'd find in your home or wardrobe? Will you add something in these shades to either place in the new year?

 I clicked and went to the website, and I have got to say I like the subtle mix of colors.  Very calming.  Are they in my wardrobe now?  Not really.   But, if the color mix starts popping up on clothing in the spring fashions, I can see buying a top or dress in those shades.  

4. If you could be in a Christmas carol, which one would you choose? Why?

What?  Sorry - Joyce.  Strange question!  ha

If I could be IN a carol?   Well, I am NOT dreaming of a white Christmas.   And I don't want the weather outside to be frightful.   I don't want to "let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!"

I will go with "We wish you a Merry Christmas - and a happy new year!"  

5. December 9th is National Pastry Day. Will you celebrate? When did you last purchase something from a bakery? What's your favorite treat that falls under the heading of pastry? Do you make it yourself or buy from the professionals?

I will not "celebrate" the day.  Did you know yesterday was National Brownie Day?  These national food days can kill you! lol      The last item I purchased at a real bakery was my daughter and son-in-law's wedding cake this past April.  

I am not a big pastry person.  I can take it or leave it.   So, I can't think of a "favorite."   And as my past posts have said, I don't bake  -  but a few batches of cookies right before Christmas, and a pumpkin loaf or two.

6. When it comes to holiday decorating_____________________________.






So, I have this "quirk" about me when it comes to holiday decorating.  I don't like to decorate the house inside and out, the same way two years in a row.  I like to be a bit creative and fresh each year. 

Each year I put out the lights differently... and I change it up a little bit.  (I don't like seeing a house decorated year after year the same exact way. Boring.  See question #2: I'm not afraid to express my opinion.)

Inside I like to place the tree in a different spot, and use different decorations.  Over the years I have accumulated so many ornaments that I can't use them all at one time.  So, I "change it up" - and that goes for the mantle and other spots around the house.

7. When did you last laugh so much it hurt? Explain.

I can't name one specific incident, but often my best laughs come from some goofy thing my hubby and I have said to each other.  After all these years of marriage we know what makes us laugh!

Stephen Colbert makes me laugh out loud, even when watching him alone.  Does it hurt?  Not really. But, I do enjoy his zaniness! 

8.  Insert your own random thought here. 

I have said this to a few friends the past week:   I wish the wonderful live holiday music concerts and events could be spaced out on the calendar more!  It seems every place offers them the first two weeks in December.  There is SO MUCH out there to experience right now, but just not enough time to experience it all!

I am in a community band and am in two handbell choirs. We are extremely busy right now!  Between rehearsals and performances, I have something musical just about every single day!  Sometimes two things happening on a day.   It laves me with little time to go hear all the choirs, all the special music leading up to Christmas!    I get that everyone wants to do it NOW, and then relax and enjoy Christmas.  But, wouldn't it be nice to have some concerts after the 25th?  (Remember: there are 12 days of Christmas.)  

Expressing my opinion again!     But, then, that's what the Hodgepodge is all about! 

Stay sane... breathe....    take it in.     Have a good week!

6 comments:

  1. My mother-in-law sings in two choirs and this time of year is absolutely crazy for her, so I do understand. You're right...breathe in, breathe out...trust that all will be fine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. December is certainly jam packed. Our tree looks different from year to year, and I tend to change up the mantel too. This year it's a whole new ball game : ) Enjoy all your musical celebrations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This month sure is busy and it's hard to get to attend all of the events and sometimes there are several on the same night. Oh well, that's the way it goes I guess but I like to go to everything! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sensible answer to #2. We're all entitled to our opinions but its good to respect that those opinions will differ. You must be busy with a band and two choirs to work around. I hope you get to enjoy this busy season :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought the colors were very calming too. I thought she meant a movie like A Christmas Carol. I do pretty close to the same thing each year. Once I find the spot I like to keep it. How awesome that you play the handbells.

    ReplyDelete