Monday, December 28, 2015

Early morning post-Christmas Day thoughts

Some thoughts post-Christmas Day and pre-New Year...

I am up really early this morning because my dogs were literally "dog-tired" yesterday and they slept and slept during the day... so, now they decided this morning/wake-up time should come before daylight.  (5:30am)     But, it's okay.  I also spent the night vegging in front of football games on TV - it was the first day of quiet in the house after the holiday gatherings. And, yes, I "may" have dozed a bit in front of the TV.  lol

So, right now, in the quiet, it seems like a good time to reflect a bit on the last 4 weeks.

*  I am always relieved when I have reached this point.  The shopping, the decorating, the traveling, the extra performances, and the food & drink indulging is over.   Phew. I made it.   Everything went off well.  There were no serious hitches.  Even my pre-lit Christmas tree waited until after Christmas day to lose the lights on the top third of the tree.

*  I thoroughly enjoyed the family times, and the special time together.   We were lucky to celebrate the holidays with extended family, and then with our own daughters and son-in-law - home for Christmas Eve and Day. 

*  Although some people want a cold, wintery Christmas season - not me.  I think our mild temperatures was a "Christmas gift" all in itself!   It was nice enough to do outdoor activities...we walked the beach, sat on the dock for happy hour, and took the boat out.   My kind of "southern Christmas"!! 

*  I did my best to keep my eye, and my heart, on the real reason for Christmas!  I can not say enough about the worship and time leading up to the celebration of Jesus's birth.  For me, it's a helpful way for me to stay in the right mindset.  I admit -  I get turned off by all the goofiness of the secular celebrations, and it disappoints me.  But, as a Christian, I plug along - and pray that others will step into a church and feel the real joy of the season.  I can't imagine Christmas without going to the night-time candlelight service, and hearing the verses from Luke read, and singing "Silent Night" and "Joy to the World."  

* The music!  It is always one of the best things about December.  I was a bit overloaded this year being in two handbell choirs, and in the community band.  I enjoyed playing, but it was time-consuming and I never got my own time to go listen to some of the other amazing live performances offered locally.  I wish somehow this great music could be spread out throughout the year!

*  Now, the next couple of days are quiet... so,  I get "itchy" to start putting away decorations and to de-clutter the house.  But, I am a traditionalist in the fact that I like to keep them up through the season... which goes through January 5th.   But, truth be told, some things will be put away to make the house easier to clean, and to return to "normal."  Plus, it just takes awhile to put it all away.  Maybe this will be the year I take the time to re-organize all the Christmas boxes before storing them away til next year.  Maybe.   

*  I watched "White Christmas" twice all the way through, beginning to end - and I saw bits and pieces of "Christmas Vacation."  I missed the Peanuts Christmas Special though.  ) :

*  Each year I tell myself I am going to "cut back" and "enjoy more" and I think I was able to do it.  I definitely spent less time shopping - and I never once stepped foot in a mall!  I shortened my Christmas card list.    I didn't bake this year.  We had plenty of sweets around anyway.   I narrowed the house decorations down to just the main rooms.   And the outside lights turned out good this year, and they should be rather easy to take down.

*  I only had one migraine!  YEAH!

*  All in all, it turned out to be a great month of preparing for Christmas - and the days right around it were wonderful!  We had family together in church,  and wonderful meals shared, and plenty of time for hubby's games and activities!  Good weather, good times!  

* And, the angel said unto them, fear not: for behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be for all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David, a Savior, which is Christ the Lord.

   Merry Christmas!!





No comments:

Post a Comment