Tuesday, October 25, 2016

At Home. Home Run. Home made. Home work.

Remember the Moody Blues song "Tuesday Afternoon"?   Well, it is playing in my head.. .along with songs about 'home.'  Why?  Read on...

1. Besides your very own house, describe a place where you feel most 'at home'? 
 
Well, there is no place like home!  Dorothy was right!    But, where else do I feel the same way?  First, at our 'riva' cabin (it really is home away from home) - and then at one of my daughter's places.  
2. When did you last 'hit a home run' with something? Explain. 
 
Ah, a little baseball connection!  Very appropriate.   The last time I hit a home run, so to speak, was perhaps when a musical performance went well.  Although, I would not really call it making a home run - but more like rounding the bases and doing what I needed to do, and then coming in to home plate.   Taa-daa!!  

I can't think of a time where I did something so well it was a 'flying event' or an amazing happening that caused everyone to cheer!
3. Tell us about something you love in your house or kitchen that is 'homemade'. 
 
Nothing much is homemade in my kitchen!  ha   I am kind of crafty from time to time so I have a few things I have made that turned out good enough to display.  

By sentimentally, I have a few handmade cross-stitched items that were given to me as gifts. My one girlfriend made a wedding sampler for me over 30 years ago and it still hangs in hubby and my bedroom.  Another dear friend has made some cross-stitched Christmas pillows.  I put them out every year.

4. 'A man's home is his castle'...which of the world's ten most captivating castles (according to The Travel Channel) would you most like to visit and why-

Mont Saint-Michel (France), Edinburgh Castle (Scotland), Neuschwanstein Castle (Germany), Glamis Castle (Scotland), Windsor Castle (England), Chateau de Chambord (France), Hampton Court Palace (England), Prague Castle (Prague), St. Michael's Mount (England), Leeds Castle (England), and Swallow's Nest (Ukraine)
 
Oh my.  I know you are going to think this is weird, but I have no deserve to visit a castle. I have gone through one in Germany, and I think in general most of them are the same.  Cold, dark, damp.   They were built so long ago to be a fortress, usually on a hill... and they were not made for 'beauty' or for comfort.   Now, the views from the castles would be worth seeing! 
5. What's a recent or upcoming plan or project that's required you do a little homework before getting started? Did the homework cause you to abandon your plan or adjust it in some way?
 
Well, right now I am preparing for a women's retreat at my riva cabin on Friday.  15 women from my church have signed up and we plan to discuss Martin Luther and the Reformation since we are meeting right before the annual day we celebrate -  when Luther nailed the 95 theses on the church door. 
 
I have grown up knowing about it - heck, I'm Lutheran!  But, to help lead the discussion I googled information about Martin and his wife Katherine - and believe it or not, I went on Pinterest to look for a small craft to do that connects with the theme.  There were some cute kids crafts - but I'm still a bit up in the air on what the women might like to do, that takes only about a half hour or so.  Any suggestions?  
 
No, I am not abandoning the theme - or plan.  I'm sure it will all work out!
6. In your opinion, is homework an unnecessary evil or a valuable practice? Should schools be done with homework? Why or why not? 
 
I do not think schools should completely eliminate homework, but I do feel it should be used as a time to review concepts or information learned in the classroom.  Especially in the elementary school level!  And, 10 to 15 minutes per subject should be enough time spent... because kids need down time and play time, and they need family time at dinner - and a proper bed time.  
 
Oh - and I have never been a fan of projects done at home!!  I disliked them when I was a student AND especially when I was a parent of a school aged child. I felt the projects were too often worked on/completed by parents.   I am against science fair projects done at home.  And remember "diaramas?  I know lots of parents who did more than 'help' their son or daughter or those!!  
7. Share a favorite memory of your childhood hometown. 
 
My hometown?   Hmmm...  the one I remember best is where we  moved to when I was in 8th grade. We stayed until my senior year in high school.   It was a rural, small-ish town in Ohio.   There was only one high school in town.  People knew each other - or knew of each other!  High school sports was very big!  It had a festival every summer, which was also really a big deal!  Downtown was closed off to car traffic and there were two parades (one each night) and a queen & court, and the marching band played, twirling groups performed, etc. and there were lots of vendors, and some rides, etc.  I was a teenager when I lived there so going to the festival with friends was lots of fun!  The town was small enough that my parents felt safe having us walk around (with friends) and we biked too. Tandem bikes were the big thing back then!  
8. Insert your own random thought here. 
 
Joyce:  I hope you have a smooth move-in next week! I know you have got to be SO excited!!  What perfect timing to get in before the weather turns cold.  And, also to get settled in before the holidays.   Here:  roofers are into the second day of taking off the old and putting on the new.  I thought the drywallers would be here today but they have not shown up yet.  They are busy these days helping the flood victims so I really can not complain.  The walls will eventually get done...  and I too, hope by the holidays to have this whole 'hurricane adventure' behind us!
Enjoy the last week of October!

5 comments:

  1. Amen to the projects-ugh. And group projects where members live in opposite geographic corners of the school district were the worst! Thanks for the good wishes. We are excited...still some items to punch out, but we're nearly there : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any suggestions for the craft for your theme, but I do love doing them at retreats and hope you can find the perfect fit. I still have many of the crafts from past retreats, my favorite is a bookmark. The host provided a card with a printed corresponding theme scripture about the size of a business card. We took tiny dried flowers and leafs and decorated the borders. Next we placed the card in a clear laminate sleeve and sent it through the heat laminating machine that sealed the card in plastic. I've used this bookmark for twenty years!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a craft idea but they are lots of fun and I know whatever you do, they will enjoy! I always hated group projects. There were always people who refused to do their share and it drove me nuts! I didn't like it when the lovelies had them either and always made them come over here to complete them so I could see who was doing what. And yes, I reported to teachers. There's no sense in the whole group suffering because of one or two sluggards. Oops, that was a rant. Sorry. :) Have a wonderful Wednesday and good luck with the craft!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cross stitches sound lovely. Have a nice time at your retreat. Those science projects each year drove me crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed reading your Hodgepodge today - better late than never! Have a great weekend! - Jessica

    ReplyDelete