Thursday, October 13, 2016

Hodgepodge. A little late due to Matthew

Hello Hodgepodgers!  I'm a bit late this week with good reason.  Matthew!  He came a callin' and he made life around here challenging.  On Saturday hurricane Matthew first dropped a bunch of rain - for hours - and he saturated the ground, and then the wind came.  A very strong wind that lasted for 3 hours or so.  Word has it that here in the lowcountry Matthew came on land as a category 2. I believe it. It was crazy!  To make a long story short, we ended up with a tree on our roof, and through our roof into our dining area and kitchen.   Thankfully, we were hunkering down at our river home, inland about 8 miles. So, we were not home when the tree snapped and fell.  And, thankfully, the rain had stopped when the wind kicked in hard.  So, the tree fell... and went into the house, but no rain came in.  So, the questions below are quite appropriate since I had JUST moved into our home.  Just two weeks!  So...

  1. What would you say is the best and worst thing about moving house?

Hubby and I spent about two months updating the home we just bought. We put in new light fixtures, updated carpet, painted, and more.  Then just two weeks after moving the furniture and officially moving in, hurricane Matthew hit our area and knocked over a huge gum tree that fell on our house, went through the roof, and partially into the house.

So, I have to say it has been the worst event of our move.  We just got most things moved over from our house that is presently for sale... we moved the furniture, clothing, personal items, etc.

The best?  The neighbors! They have been friendly, and compassionate to us about what we are going through right now.  We have good folks around us! 

2. What's moved you recently?

I have to go back to the question above... I have been moved by those wanting and willing to help, and by those just feeling our pain over the events of the last few days.

I have been moved to tears over the initial damage.  Then shocked, and moved to scared tears.  And I have laughed over it too. I have felt love and caring from those around us.  So, it's been a very 'moving' time in many ways this week for sure!

3. Do you feel your life is moving forward, backward, or is on hold? How so?

I feel it moving forward!  Yes, we have had a setback - but all in all, we move on - and we don't regret our move.  

4. On the move, move mountains, get a move on, it's your move, or bust a move...which phrase best applies to some aspect of your life right now? Explain.

I think we all can move mountains when we put our time and effort into it.  In so many ways!  I like to look at the big picture and think positive.  Do it baby!    Even with setbacks... or a step back, we still take two steps forward.   Sounds like a country song to me!  So, on to the next question...

5. What song makes you want to get up and move?

Oh my! So many songs!!   "Country girl - shake it for me!" by Luke Bryan  and  "Uptown Funk" and  I can never sit still when I hear "Love Shack"!!   By the way, Luke Bryan has a song out right now called "M-O-V-E" and it's a greta song for dancing.  You got to listen - and MOVE - to it!! 

6. Your favorite snack to grab when you're 'on the move'?

A handful of peanuts.  Or a granola-nut bar.


7. What one accessory makes your house feel like home?

I have some special items: family pictures,  favorite pillows, and such that make me feel in 'my zone'.  I also love having my computer close by.  They are my comfort things - and they are what makes it feel like 'home.'

8. Insert your own random thought here. 

 We have plywood and tarps up and power on again.  Matthew certainly had us in an upheaval for a few days.  Yes, we have much work ahead of us...new trusses, a new roof, drywall, painting, gutters, etc.  But, we are going to be fine. I pray for those in Haiti - and Bermuda.... and even our neighbors in North Carolina dealing with horrible flooding.


7 comments:

  1. Glad you're on the road to recovery and home repair and no one was injured. I forgot about the Luke Bryan song Play It Again...that one makes we want to jump up and dance : ) Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your damage from Matthew. ((Hugs)) Glad that everything is being taken care of. Take care and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear this but I'm impressed at how positive you're sounding and as you said at least no one was hurt. I hope the weather stays ok while you get the repair work done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh gosh! I'm so sorry! Here in the low-country we didn't get too much, thankfully. I knew that the darn thing was headed north of us and I hate that y'all had damage but I am so glad you weren't in the new house at the time! I have a friend in NC not too far from Lumberton where they got hit hard too. I hope that's it for this season and the next hundred at least! :) LOVE SHACK! I forgot all about that one! I love it!

    ReplyDelete