Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Laboring over today's Hodgepodge

Don't blink!   It is the title of a song by Kenny Chesney.  And, it goes on to say that "just like that" your babies grow... so don't blink!  I'm feeling that way right now.  My babies are grown.  Young women.  I am seeing them this coming Labor Day weekend - which leads into the first question:

 1. Can you believe we're rolling in to the Labor Day weekend? What's a project you'll labor over this fall?

Can I believe it?  No!  Time goes by so quickly sometimes.  Especially summertime.    Don't blink!

A project?  I have my usual projects (the layette program, church WELCA activities, community band) and they are a 'labor of love.'   This weekend is my daughter's "Babies shower" to help her  prepare for her twin boys.  My other daughter and I are hosting it.  I'm excited about it!  Getting it all together has been fun, and seeing all the gifts she receives will be exciting.  It will be a great time of family and friends together. 

2. Tell us about the best perks you ever had in a job?

This is an easy question to answer!  I worked at 98 ROCK in Baltimore, and as Promotions Manager it was often part of my job to go to concerts!  Sometimes I was going with the DJ who was MCing, or I was meeting some winners/listeners to take them backstage to meet the band.   But, sometimes I was given tickets as a perk from the record reps or the concert promoter.  Oh - and often I got a backstage pass! 

It is certainly where I got my love of experiencing live music!   But, I also got spoiled - and now I like to be 'up close and personal' at concerts...and now I have to pay for it!  

3. August 31st is National South Carolina Day. Have you ever been to SC? Any desire to go? According to Southern Living, these are the top ten things to do in South Carolina...

Explore Charleston, bike, golf or relax on Hilton Head Island, see the beach and the boardwalk at Myrtle Beach, visit the state museum in the capital city Columbia, observe the wildlife and natural beauty of the Ace Basin, take a walk or hop on a trolley and check out Greenville's charming main street, visit Fort Sumter where the Civil War began, stroll through Pearl Fryar's Topiary Garden in Bishopville leaving time to check out The Button Museum, also in Bishopville, see Morgan Island (also known as Monkey Island)-home to nearly 4000 Rhesus monkeys. 

Which is most appealing to you today? If you're a SC native, resident, or frequent visitor what would you add to the list?


Happy South Carolina Day!   My home state!  Yes, I live here - and I love it!  

But, here's the interesting part:  some of the places on the list above I have never even heard of!   I live on the east (coastal) part of the state and I have not explored the western areas.  So, I have yet to see Greenville, but everyone says it is a beautiful city.  And Ace Basin??  What is that?    Morgan Island??  I never heard of it until reading it here.   But, I think it would be quite an amazing place to visit!   I better google and find out where it is located!! lol

4. Beef, pork, country-style, barbecued, baby back, spare or short...your favorite kind of rib? What's a dish you enjoy that really 'sticks to your ribs'?

Here's my advertisement for the day:   Best ribs I have ever eaten can be found at The Corner Stable in Cockeysville, Maryland (a northern suburb of Baltimore.)  They are pork baby-back ribs, slow cooked in a secret sauce, and they are tender and fall of the bones.  They are amazing!  

A dish that sticks to my ribs?  Anything made with potatoes!  Mashed potatoes are my favorite but I rarely have them anymore...   because, darn it, they stick to my ribs!! 

5. What's one important skill you think every person should have? Why?

I am not sure if I would call it a skill, but I think everyone should have some education in money management.  It is said that high schoolers graduate without knowing anything about how credit cards work, and how to budget their money month to month.   I think that's an important thing to know - more than knowing how to solve an algebra problem. 

6.  Insert your own random thought here. 


So, most of you know that we are trying to sell a home.  It is a beautiful place, but it has been difficult to sell because it has lots of steps, and it is a big family home but does not have a big yard.  People who have gone through it have been impressed but continue to have 'something' that holds them back.  So, it's been frustrating....VERY frustrating.

On Monday we had a realtor come with clients to see it... and they opened the front door, and were greeted with a SNAKE in the foyer!!   Yep, a snake!! So, they shut the door and left.  According to the realtor the clients have NO interest in coming back to see the house.   So, here is the thing:   it is the lowcountry.  Yes, snakes and alligators live here.   They pop up from time to time.  The house has been empty (little activity) and it was raining.  

Sometimes I want to scream...  plus, I want to tell realtors to be honest with clients.  Tell them it's part of living in marshy, coastal areas.   Hey - I hate snakes.  I really do.  But, a snake can show up in any house...   but, of course, it happened in mine.  Grrrrrr.        Will the house ever sell???  

Ok.  My rant is over.  In reality my problem is so very minor when I think of the thousands of people in the Houston area who have NO house now.   I can't get over the devastation there.  My heart breaks for all those who will be displaced for so long.  For those who have lost all their possessions.  For those who will not have a job anymore.  For those who can not get basic needs of life. 

Pray for them.  Give if you can.


9 comments:

  1. I love that Kenny Chesney song, so true!
    Twin baby boys! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A snake would be a rather startling greeting! I suppose it's like mice in an old country farm home. It's just a fact of life. They can get into the tiniest of spaces. My husband has worked in radio (promotions and marketing) for decades. Lots of perks - just like you mentioned. Lots of fun memories and opportunities to see people we would never have been able to see otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've had a snake on our welcome mat, but none have made it into the house so far. We're just starting to get our house ready to sell, like you it's too big, so I hear your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are about to put our house on the market and we're hoping people don't have one weird thing they hate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh goodness, so sorry about the unwanted visitor. We live in a woodland setting on a lake so there are going to be creatures from time to time. I do hope your home sells soon. I'm sure that is really frustrating. Have so much fun this weekend! I love a baby shower and had a great time organizing my daughter's party. So many clever cute ideas we have access to thanks to the Internet. I'm having dinner Friday with a friend whose daughter just had identical twin boys in July. She's just getting back from a visit there so will let you know how things were going with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If one of those things came inside my house I would no longer live in my house. LOL Serisouly, I would move. Luckily, I haven't had that yet. I've lived in SC all my life but in the low-country for only 33 years so I consider myself lucky that...wait a minute! There was one in the first house I lived in down here in Mount Pleasant! I remember. I even blogged about it a few years ago. My goodness but this whole aging thing and the mind... LOL I do wish your house would sell. I think I'd love a small yard but who knows what people want these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband is a realtor and crazy, unexpected things do happen. He once showed a house and was told there would be a bird and a pig in the house. However, neither he nor the clients expected to walk into the kitchen and find a 300lb pot belly taking most of the space. I do hope you find buyers soon who will love your place. So exciting about your anticipated twin grandsons!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope the shower went well - look forward to hearing about it and pics. I hope you do manage to sell your house soon but I don't think I could live somewhere that snakes might visit - one of my big phobias.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Co-incidentally after reading about the snake and feeling relieved that I'm not in a snake area this story came out:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-41122975 Seems you can never be totally safe! lol

    ReplyDelete