Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Pets, adventures, and more...

It feels like I was just here - at the Hodgepodge.  But, it's that time again!   So, lets do it!

1. What pets did you have while growing up? Tell us a little something about them.

I grew up with a dog in the house. We always had a Boston Terrier.  When I was young our BT was named Pal.  Then after he passed, we got Ace.  Next came Deuce.  My dad grew up with a couple of Boston Terriers so it was his breed of choice, and it therefore became mine.  Even after I married we had a BT, named Ralph.  

We were Boston Terrier lovers before they became so popular in advertising.  

2. What is one thing you absolutely must accomplish today?


Today:  I plan to get more baby layette baskets ready for taking to the local hospital.  I want to get ahead on it a bit, in case I need to run up to Raleigh if my daughter goes in labor. 


I also plan to practice my flute for a bit before I go to church later and have a rehearsal for a flute duet.  The handbell choir rehearsal follows it.
Nothing else is a 'must do' but I plan to clean a bit, water my newly planted flowers, and perhaps put a few fall decorations out on the front porch. 

3. Where were you ten years ago? What were you doing there?
 


Ten years ago:  2007.   I had just started living full-time in Pawleys Island, where I am now.  The year before I went back and forth from NJ to SC while my younger daughter finished her senior year in high school in Sparta, NJ.  




So, I was learning the area, and getting involved in things around my new home.  My mother-in-law was still living so I was hanging with her some.


4. September 26th is National Dumpling Day. Did you celebrate? Apple dumpling, xiao long bao (steamed Chinese dumpling), chicken and dumplings, pirogi, matzoh balls, or gnocchi...which dumpling on this list would be your dumpling of choice? Have you ever made homemade dumplings of any kind?
 

Of the dumplings on the list, my absolute favorite dumpling would be apple dumplings, especially the homemade ones my mother used to make!  They were wonderful, warm out of the oven - and with some cold milk poured on. 

My church here has an annual apple dumpling festival in November, and makes the same kind as my mother made.  The recipe comes from someone who grew up in Ohio - like I did.  


I also like chicken and dumplings.  The other ones on the list do not appeal to me.

I have never tried to make dumplings.  As I have said before, I do not enjoy 'creating' in the kitchen!  lol


5. 'There are two kinds of adventurers: those who go truly hoping to find an adventure and those who go secretly hoping they don't.' William Trogdon

So which kind are you?

 
I do not go forward looking for an adventure.  In general I do not like 'living on the edge' and I do not like the unexpected.   So, I suppose I secretly hope I don't find one.  But, of course, there have been unexpected adventures that I have experienced that have turned out fine - fun in fact!  

Here is one example:  My husband knows I stress over trips and I don't do well going to unknown places.   So, a few years back, when my daughter was living and studying in St. Petersburg, Russia, he planned a trip for us to go see her.   I didn't know about it until right before...and off we went.    Well, the trip went fine, and was fun, and I experienced a new place AND got to see my daughter and where she lived during that summer.   I'm glad I went - and it all went well.   But, I would have NEVER planned it on my own.   In general, I am content to stay home.

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

There is SO much I could talk about here... because as you know the news is full of protests, and scary times... and a dufus of a president who puts his ego before the safety of millions.

BUT...  I won't go there!  lol

Instead I will mention that my daughter, pregnant with twins, we just diagnosed with gestational diabetes.  She has been incredibly faithful about eating well, and has been walking.  So, this diagnosis was disappointing to her.  But, GD is more likely in multiple baby pregnancies - and is something she can probably control with a few diet changes until the boys are born.  I don't think there will be any long term issue.   Does anyone have stories from your own experiences or of family who were diagnosed with gestational diabetes?    I'd like to hear them!   Thanks.

Have a great week - remember those in PR, the other islands, the Florida Keys, and Mexico.   They need our help. 

5 comments:

  1. No stories, just some prayers for your daughter, dear Marla. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dufus is a good word for that madman
    I have been reading about your daughter and the twins. It is an exciting time! However, I am sorry to hear about this new development.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear about your daughter's news but at least now it's been picked up it can be addressed. I hope she stays well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear your daughter has to manage this diagnosis, but from what I understand once the baby(or babies in her case) are born it's a non-issue. Do they anticipate her delivering early? Our little guy is two months old today and changes so much every day. Can't wait for yours to arrive so we can compare notes : ) My friend's daughter who just had twins (fraternal, although I think originally she had said identical) is doing well. She is tired, and my friend has been helping a lot. She says they take their cues from one another so if one cries the other cries. I know your daughter will appreciate having you there to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope your day went well! I think that I might have more trouble not knowing in advance about a trip. I need time to gather things. I know my niece was diagnosed with one of her pregnancies and all was well. There were no issues afterwards or with her baby.

    ReplyDelete