Thursday, February 22, 2018

The circle of life

Thursday has become my time to catch up on my blogging.  Today is Thursday.  So, it's that time again.  I wrote a post last Thursday and was a bit surprised that nobody responded about it.  There wasn't a single comment.  I don't know if anyone read it or not, but it was therapeutic to write...and isn't that what blogging is all about?  

So, today... what do I want to post about?

I think today is a day to write about the circle of life.   (Cue "The Lion King" music.)

As you all know I have been spending lots of time with my daughter and her new baby twin boys.  I have written about it here already, and you know that I am already in love with those cute little guys.  We have made it through the first months, when it was all about feeding them as preemies. It was about keeping them alive... and helping them gain weight and grow.    Now they are becoming little people and it's a joy to watch them smile, and to interact with us.  It's just the start.  So many wonderful months and years ahead!

These are my first grandchildren.  I am not particularly young to have just become a grandmother.  Not at all.  I realize that. 

I am blessed to have no major medical issues right now so I can get down on the floor with the boys. I can hold them and rock them, and I can help out as needed.   I hope it continues because I enjoy it very much!  I love being Mimi!

Here's the thing:  I really can't believe I am the age that I am.    Sometimes I wonder: how did I get here?   

In general I'm holding it together pretty well.  But, sometimes it is hard to look in the mirror.  Sagging skin and wrinkles.  My upper arms have loose skin ALL THE TIME.  My skin is dry.  I can't seem to moisturize enough!   My hands are looking old.   And wow - when my roots start to grow out, my hair looks like it's much more gray than any other color.  The texture is different. 

I'm not saying anything prophetic.  Anyone my age or older understands what I am talking about - I know that.  But, dang, sometimes it is hard to face!  Right?

And, I don't want to be vain about my looks.   I know life changes us physically.   I just heard a saying:  the days can go slow, but the years go fast.  It's true.   I love the country song about "don't blink" because you might miss something.  And,  that 'you're gonna miss this' because each stage of life is beautiful, even when you don't always realize it at the moment. 

But, seriously, how did I get this age??? 

Life is wonderful.  Every part of it!   I have a little sign in my bathroom that says "Live your life and forget your age."  I try and be that way.  I try and stay relevant - and I try and stay connected.  I know that thinking and acting old makes a person old.

The outer part may be changing.  I try not to let it bother me too much. 

First I was a daughter.  Then I became a mother.  Now I am a grandmother. 

It's all about enjoying that circle of life. 

 


5 comments:

  1. I understand not believing your own age. It catches me by surprise a lot. So glad the boys and their parents are doing well. We’re going to see ours in a couple of weeks and I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely read your post last week and probably intended getting back to comment but never made it. That thing called life probably got in the way lol. Yep aging is no fun. But being a grandparent definitely is. Especially when you've babysat for 5 hours and the last hour has been hell but then you can just give them back to Mum! And when Mum complains that baby never sleeps and you can remind them it's payback time for all the sleepless nights they gave you. Seriously I'm loving it but it can be hard work. I'm glad yours are doing ok. How early/tiny were they?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so blessed to have them. I'm 66 now and don't have any and as time goes on my health continues to fail. Praying you have a great relationship with them that they will carry in their heart forever.

    I ago, how did we get here. I keep telling younger people to start loving their loves and slow down a little bit. One day you are thirty raising your family and suddenly you are 60 and wonder where did the years go!!! Right, it is hard to face.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy: the boys were each about 4 and a half pounds. Thank you for reading my posts. You are very kind. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww quite small then but sounds like they're doing well. I know how scary it is to have a tiny baby - my grandson was 2lb 6oz but you'd never believe that now.

      Delete