Monday, May 21, 2018

Monday morning quarterbacking

Good morning blog friends!

It's Monday morning so I guess it is appropriate for me to do a little Monday morning quarterbacking.   Consider this post a look back on a few things and events and my thoughts about them....for what it's worth.   

*  I have to start with the shooting at the Santa Fe, Texas high school.    Is it just me or does it seem that this latest school shooting, which took 10 lives, did not get the news coverage as the ones before it?   I know the Parkland high school students were outstanding in speaking out and in raising awareness, and in creating a national march day.  But, where are they now?  We need those young voices to keep speaking out!  

I also think that so much is happening in the news right now that networks can only devote a small amount of time to the Santa Fe shooting.  Of course there is still all the Trump craziness and the daily new info about the campaign season, a Russian connection, etc.  But, also now the volcano eruption in Hawaii continues to get worse and is covered by the news as it should be.   The day after the school shooting was the royal wedding.  I'll have more on that in a minute.   Most of the networks had already sent crews over to Windsor for it, and had allocated lots of airtime to it. 

Another school shooting.   That's how it is viewed now.  Nothing new - unfortunately.  

I have written posts before about my hopes for changes in the gun laws and availability of weapons here in the US.  So, I won't use this space for it again.   But, I will say that I read a comment from a friend about our need to make gun owners (often the parents of the shooters) more responsible, and to be liable...and to be severely punished when their guns are taken and used in crimes.    It sure makes sense to me.

I continue to vow to you that I will not tire of this important problem in America.   Children are dying.    What can you do?  Here is an easy one: wear orange on June 1st - and let people know you are in orange because you want change, and you want better laws when it comes to gun ownership.

*  The royal wedding!  I was not counting the days down til the wedding.  But, I did wake up Saturday morning in time to turn the TV on and watch it live.  I'm glad I did.   It was a beautiful ceremony.  The liturgy was very similar to what I know, and the music was exceptional!   The sermon message was right on - all about love!   I felt  the wedding was a beautiful mix of heritages...  and an example that love brings us all together.

*  Trump.   I purposely have not written much lately.   I feel like I would just be a broken record... because it's the same thing every day.    BUT...     that being said, because it is the same thing with him day in and day out, for the life of me I can NOT figure out how anyone can still like him as our president.   We can disagree on policy and we can disagree on America's place in the world, but truly...Trump the man??   A liar.  A narcissist.  A womanizer.   An embarrassment.    How is that acceptable?    

I admit that I prefer not to be around people who still support him.   It has put a strain on some family and friend relationships.

*  My statement above leads me to the next topic.  Christianity.   Living life as a Christian, a followerer of Jesus.   I know I fall short on it, when I have trouble being around those who see politics so differently from me.   Jesus did not separate himself from those in need, or from those who were different from him.  In fact, he did the opposite. He spoke to them, and taught all of us about forgiveness and His grace.  

I sit in the pew each Sunday and hear the Word, and I know those around me are each unique... but we are all God's children.   But, even within our church walls we have had many disagreements and separations.   A few years ago we had a group leave due to an issue with the preschool administration.   And then we had a huge fallout due to individual beliefs about same sex marriage.    There was major hurt all around.  So many members left and found new places to worship.  It surprised me that people on all sides of the issue left!  Those who didn't believe in gay marriage left.  Those who do accept gay marriage left thinking we were not progressive enough.    It was devastating.  My friends and fellow church members left.   I felt they 'gave up' and I still struggle with what happened.     Our church now, those who stayed,  is still struggling over it today.   

I'm hurt. I'm bitter.  I'm disappointed.   I'm watching the struggles of other members who stayed too.  BUT....   BUT  it is my home.  It is where I have experienced Christian joys.  I put my faith where it should be...  in the fact that God is there. "Where two or three are gathered..."  He is there.  

I do NOT believe that God causes these things to happen.  I do not believe that God wants us to hurt.   But, He never leaves us and wants us to never give up.  I sit in my pew and look up at the cross and put my hope there.  

*  Lighter note!   I just received an email that I got a spot to attend the Brothers Osborne Fan Club Party while at the CMA Fest!  I love them and am excited!!   They have gotten so 'hot' that a lottery was needed to pick attendees - and it was for single tickets.  I can't even bring a guest.  But, that is okay!  I will go by myself - and enjoy it!!! 

The CMA Fest is getting close!  I also bought into another fan party for an up and comer named William Michael Montgomery.   (I can bring a guest to it!)   I will certainly get my country music fill there...   I love it, morning to late night.  Amazing music everywhere - from the honky tonks, to the fan parties, the daytime outdoor stages, and the big headliners at night.   

*  Family updates:  The twins are 6 months now and are more and more adorable each day!!!   I head back tomorrow to spend a couple of days with them.     Daughter #2 is traveling parts of Europe right now with her fiance.   She had business in Prague and then took some extra time to vacation and sight-see.  I hope they continue to have fun - and stay safe!

*  The daughter #2 wedding is going to be a bit smaller than the royal wedding!  ha   We continue to make decisions and make plans.  We tasted cake samples last Saturday and we walked the venue grounds.  It is slowly but surely coming together!

As the Mamas and Papas sang:   Monday, Monday - can't stop that day!   I must end this now and get on with my Monday. I'm looking forward to seeing my church quilting friends this afternoon - and then this evening I am celebrating with my fellow handbell ringers at dinner out.

Enjoy your Monday!!





 

1 comment:

  1. I think you're right. It didn't get a lot of coverage. Honestly I think that the news feeds the fire in some of the sick people out their. Your friend is right. The parents do need to be liable. I was counting the days until the wedding and I loved everything about it. Enjoy the CMA Fest. Enjoy your time with your grandson's. I'm expecting a grandson in October. Wow, I'd love to be on that trip your daughter is taking. I loved the Mamas and Papas.

    ReplyDelete