Wednesday, April 19, 2017

Do you like to fly??

Here's this week's Hodgepodge questions and my answers.   Feel feel to join!

1. Tell us about a time you felt like you were 'flying by the seat of your pants'.

I think there have been many times I have felt that way, especially when it's the first time I try doing something.   The first day at a new job comes to mind.  Also, the first time of walking into a group or meeting where I have never been before.   I just have to take a deep breath, put on a smile, and go forward.  To get rid of some nervousness, I  like to think "let go, let God."


2.  When or where would you most like to be 'a fly on the wall'?

I gotta wonder these days what happens inside the Oval Office.  I think I'd like to be a fly on the wall there.  


3. 'Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.'-Henry David Thoreau 

Would you agree? Why or why not?


In general, yes, I do agree with Thoreau.  Often happiness is the by-product of doing what you love to do, or in directing your life towards doing something that helps others.


I know people who try so hard to find happiness that they never know what to do, or they never stick with doing what they love, or they are just confused about life and their place in it.  Nothing seems right.  Their circumstances are never right.   If they could be content in the moment, and look for ways to help others, then happiness comes.


4. Share a favorite movie, book, or song with flying in it's title, lyrics, or theme somewhere.


My first quick thought was "Come Fly with Me"  by Frank Sinatra.

But I have to include a Tim McGraw song. It's called"Down to my Last Dollar (Fly Away)"
and here is the chorus:

1-2-3 Like a bird I sing
Cause yo've given me the most beautiful set of wings
I'm so glad you're here today
Cause tomorrow I might have to go and fly away
Fly away, fly away,


5. What is one task or chore you tend to do 'on the fly'? Is this something that really needs to be done another way?

Most of them! ha   I am not one of those who is regimented with cleaning. Like... If it's Monday then it is laundry day! Or Tuesday I clean the bathrooms.  No way! I know people like that. But, I usually clean as I see the need.  Don't worry: I always do a very thorough cleaning before company comes! 

6. What was happening the last time you thought to yourself or said aloud

Spring break.


These days when I hear the words "Spring Break" I think of more people coming here to the beaches, to my home -  where I live!  The roads get more crowded. The food stores are crowded at the beginning of the week and you can see people filling carts full, filled with fun vacation food.  The beaches themselves get more crowded.

But, I know that the Spring Breakers are vital for our local economy, so I am okay with them being here.


7. This Thursday is National Garlic Day. Will you add garlic to your menu on Thursday? Do you like garlic? What's your favorite dish made with garlic?

Well, funny you should ask about my Thursday plans! I am going with my daughter to see Tim McGraw and Faith Hill in concert together on their Soul 2 Soul tour. They are playing the North Charleston Arena.   So,eating garlic isn't my number one thought for Thursday! And perhaps I shouldn't eat garlic since I will be up close with my daughter and thousands of my close friends and music lovers!

Yes, I do like garlic - in moderation.  I like garlic bread with any Italian dish.

8. Insert your own random thought here.


So,  Springtime always gets me outside doing yard work, which I love - and it always gets me into the poison ivy.  Yep. I have it again.   It's become a part of my transition of seasons.   Are any of you like me?  If so, what has become your best way to fight the effects of it?   I'd love to hear advice on how to stop getting it (no, I'm not going to stop gardening) and how to treat it.

Have a wonderful week Hodgepodge friends!

10 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poison ivy? I am going to have to be on the alert and will take this as a cautionary tale as I, too, am doing yard work. There was a patch of poison ivy on my neighbor's lawn that I have been working hard to eradicate. I'll pay attention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marla! You and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to #2. So jealous that you are going to see Faith and Tim - I love them. I can't wait to hear about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Katie, I don't know if you Facebook, but if you do, you can send a 'friend request' because I will definitely be posting Tim & Faith pics and videos. I don't put pics up on my blog - like you do so well!!

      Delete
  3. Poison ivy-ugh! I don't know what you can do to prevent it other than cover up completley and of course it's kind of warm to garden that way in your area. Hope it doesn't become too uncomfortable or spread. Have a great time Thursday! They're coming to our area too, but I didn't get tickets. It was so far out when they went on sale, and I am trying to keep my calendar somewhat flexible with baby on the way. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in the woods. I know there must be poison ivy or oak around, but I have been fortunate to never have run into it. I do know of it's misery though.
    Lucky you seeing Tim and Faith with your daughter! My son is taking me to see Neal Diamond next month.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh NO! to the poison ivy. So sorry. I've never had it, but I've heard how miserable it is. We have poison ivy growing in abundance in the ditches along the road. I think that a lot of us were thinking a fly on the wall in Washington D.C.! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll be the fly next to you.....
    Normally I do laundry on Wed but since I was going out today I did it yesterday. I always, always clean like a neat freak before company too. I use to be OCD about cleaning but not anymore. Garlic bread is the best although I haven't had it in a long time. Sorry about the poison ivy :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure I've ever had poison ivy, nor do I want it! That stuff is nasty. I've seen it on cousins and on one of my daughters and the man but I've been lucky. I am not a fan of country music but I think Tim McGraw and Faith Hill are wonderful people. John Prine is coming to the north area in September. I cannot wait! Have fun at the concert!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry about the poison ivy. I've never been allergic to it but Hubby has had some awful bouts. So I can feel for you. Enjoy your outing on Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a great time at the concert today! Sorry to hear you getting a reaction from poison ivy. I've never have it, but have had a friend who did; and it sounded like a painful experience.

    ReplyDelete