Friday, January 27, 2012

Piddling

For a while now I have been telling my hubby that I love to piddle.  I can spend a whole day piddling, inside and out.   WHAT??? 

What is piddling?   The latest "Southern Living" magazine has an article in the back of it, written by Rick Bragg, called "The Fine Art of Piddling."  He writes that piddling is not rest, not something that can be done with your feet on an ottoman or as you recline in a Posturepedic. But then neither is it work, something that one toils at, sweats at, something one needs a break from, for lunch, coffee." He adds "If one piddles correctly, time just goes away, without regret on the part of the piddler, or even any particular notice."

I was a little shocked when I saw the article about piddling.  It gave credence to what I do.  I can spend a whole afternoon in my yard - doing a little weeding, picking up dropped branches and debris, watering the plants, washing off the outdoor furniture, listening to the birds, feeling a breeze,   I prefer to piddle outdoors, but I can  do it indoors too.  I can run the vacuum, then read the paper, play the piano alittle, hop on and off my computer (numerous times), play with my puppy, load the dishwasher, etc.  

I like to piddle with music going in the background.  Piddling and music are two of my favorite things.  When I put them together it's a great time for me! 

It's important to know that piddling is not wasting time - or doing nothing.  Far from it! But, I think to piddle correctly a person can not be rushed for time, or have a deadline to meet....because piddling is not stressful. 

I haven't always piddled.  In fact I couldn't do it much til moving here.  I used to have a strict schedule for my day.  As a mom I would have times to drop kids off places (school, music lessons, etc.) and then pick them up, I had my own meetings and events to attend,  and I had to use the time inbetween for food shopping, running errands, etc.   So, I have discovered I can piddle much better now as an empty nester. 

I'm thankful I can piddle outdoors here in SC most of the year.  I get fresh air (which unfortunately seems to be playing havoc with my nose & sinuses right now), and I feel the sunshine's warmth.  The fine art of piddling is great for alleviating depression or sadness.  If you do it right it puts you in a very good mood!  I actually find I dance alittle to my music while I piddle.

I wake up happy when I know I have a day ahead for piddling. 

By now, you must think I'm crazy - or you know exactly what I'm talking about...     which is it? 
Do you piddle?

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad I've mastered the art of something! I'm going to get the magazine! I m happy too when I know I have a day just to piddle! Tee hee. Yep. I totally piddle. :)

    ReplyDelete