Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Heading into May Hodgepodge

You know the drill by now.  Joyce provides Hodgepodge questions, I answer my way.  I encourage you to respond too!

1.  This week's Hodgepodge is number 123. What's something you've done recently that was as easy as 1 - 2 - 3?  

I think I have to answer this with the baby layette basket program I started for the local hospital almost two years ago.  I was looking for something I could do to make a difference; something I could do that I would enjoy; something that wasn't about a lot of paperwork. I wanted something "hands on."   Once I decided to start a baby layette basket program for young & needy moms everything just fell into place, and it was as easy as 1 - 2 - 3!  I have not considered it a burden in anyway.  I continue to receive lots of donations, and I put together 4 to 5 baskets each week and deliver them to the hospital.  I don't see the look on the new mothers' faces when they receive one, but the nurses have told me that they are thrilled and these moms "need" the onesies, blankets, bath items, diapers, etc.  It's a joy when things fall in place so well! Easy as 1 - 2 -3!

2. This Hodgepodge also happens to fall at the beginning of May...what is something you may do this month? 

I have lots of things I plan to do, but I'm still waiting to see if I will make a trip to Ohio.  I may go there if needed.  My sister fell Sunday before last and broke her leg.  She lives alone and may need help.  Right now she is in re-hab so I will know more once she finishes that up.

3.  The Englishman Horace Walpole is credited as saying "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think."  How do you see it? 

Sometimes it IS very hard to "feel" because there is so much pain in this world.  There are so many evil actions, and natural disasters.  It hurts to the core sometimes.  But, that being said, I really don't agree with Mr. Walpole because I think the world also has amazing, beautiful people and things to enjoy...and without the emotions and feelings they would be lost.   Oh - yes, sometimes this world is a comedy too.  Funny things happen.  But thankfully we can feel that too - and laugh!

4.  May is National Hamburger month...how often do you eat a burger?  What are your must-haves when it comes to burgers? 

Hamburgers are very seasonal for me.  I rarely eat them in the cold weather months.  But, once we light up the grill and have summertime get-togethers then burgers become part of my diet!   So, in cold months I rarely eat a hamburger.  In warm weather months I probably eat one a week.  I like mayo, and a slice of tomato on it...maybe some ketchup & mustard.

5.   Pansies, petunias, geraniums, impatiens... of the four mentioned, which is your favorite in a patio pot?  Will there be pots on your patio this spring?   Who does the gardening at your house? 

Okay, I'll make you jealous:  I ALREADY have flower pots on my patio (and deck).  Spring comes early here...thankfully.  I have geraniums in a couple of pots that sit where the sun hits.  I have impatiens (and other shade-loving flowers) in pots that don't get direct sun.   They are two of my favorite flowers.  I will plant pansies...but petunias get too long stem-y and stringy for me over time.  I am the gardener and I LOVE it!!!

6.  When did you last (literally or figuratively) shout "Mayday, mayday!" ?

I think Joyce means as a way of announcing you are giving up. Right?  I can't think of a time of shouting it, or thinking it...  literally or figuratively.  But over the years I suppose I have had moments where I have thrown my hands up in the air and said I can't do anything about a situation (or person) and just give up.

7. Say farewell to April in ten words or less.

Unseasonable, but still beautiful with Springtime flowers and longer days.

8.  My random thought.

As most know, I am a country music lover - and therefore, this time of year gets me VERY excited about some events coming soon.  This Friday I am going with my daughter to see Tim McGraw in concert (again...he's one I never get tired of seeing over and over.)  We are doing a "first" though!  As a member of the fan club (I joined because you get unique opportunities) I bought the VIP package - and that includes going backstage prior to the concert, and attending a pre-concert cocktail party. Tim and a couple of his band members will come out and do a short acoustic set - so we will be "up-close and personal"!   We get food, drink, some special merchandise too.   To say I'm excited is an understatement!   (April:  jealous?)

The other BIG event coming up is the CMA Music Festival in Nashville in early June.  I'm taking my other daughter and her boyfriend.  It's my third time attending but their first time so I am really excited to share the four days of non-stop music and fun with them!   (Katie: you going this year?)   I highly recommend this event if you are a country music fan.  Check it out on Facebook - or google it.

Have a GREAT first week of May everyone!!


6 comments:

  1. Wow! That's so cool! Enjoy Tim McGraw!!

    Laura Anne

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tim McGraw concert sounds awesome. I would love to go to the CMA Festival in Nashville. Sounds like so much fun! My son is going to see Brad Paisley next week. One of my favorites to see in concert. Have a great time, and a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your sister is doing okay. I've heard that is the most painful break. Enjoy your weekend-sounds fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a fan of country music, too. Have a great time at the concert and at the festival :) Both sound like lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You just have to keep rubbing it in, don't you, Marla? ;) Oh, I'm very happy for you...just wish I was going, too! Please tell Tim 'hello' from me...he knows who I am! Better take lots of pictures to share...don't let me down! Wishing the best for your sister in her recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your plans with your daughters. Enjoy the concerts! Hope your sister gets well soon.

    ReplyDelete